Dr. James Priestley, one of Canton s early physicians and the first postmaster, built this Greek Revival mansion in 1852 just a block off the courthouse square where the new Greek Revival courthouse was about to be built. The two story home has a traditional center hall, grand period architectural details, three fascinating staircases, a much photographed kitchen, Bradbury and Bradbury documentary wallpapers, a glorious screened-in porch, eight fireplace mantels, a garden sprinkler system, and nicely integrated modern amenities. The landscaped grounds have gardens surrounding the house and the rear pool terrace. There is a two car garage and ample off-street driveway parking. It was completely restored and updated by the current owner after his purchase of the property in 2004. The home has always been occupied and with long term owners. Canton, Mississippi, is twenty six miles north of the State Capitol in Jackson. It is celebrated for being one of early and best preserved towns in that state which is known for its fine preservation spirit. Mississippians have long flocked to the annual Canton Flea Market Arts and Crafts Show, in recent years with attendance of over 100,000 persons. Madison County was created in 1828 and Canton became the county seat in 1836. The fabulous Greek Revival Courthouse was built in 1855 and is the focus of the 1982 National Register Courthouse District. The old Canton Cemetery with its earliest grave in 1777, and the log structures of the 1820 s and 1830 s, underscore the long history of the area as an early settlement though it wasn t until the mid-19th century that it became the town it is today. In 1995 the world became familiar with the courthouse area because of its familiarity as the setting for the filming of John Grisham s best seller A Time to Kill, a cinematic block-buster, which brought fame to Grisham and recognition to Canton. Today the town of about 13,500 residents is especially bustling not only as a bedroom community but more-so as the home of the new huge Nissan Automotive Plant just south of town. The Priestly House is located in the National Register East Canton Historic District. The National Register of Historic Places is the Nation's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation. Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect our historic and archeological resources. Properties listed in the Register include districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture. The National Register is administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior.
Age: Over 50 Years Old
Architecture Style: Greek Revival
Roof Type: Unknown
Rooms: Bedroom, Full Bath