From today's featured article
Aleeta curvicosta, commonly called the floury baker or floury miller, is a species of cicada native to the eastern coastline of Australia. Described in 1834 by Ernst Friedrich Germar, it is currently the only described species in the genus Aleeta. The floury baker's distinctive appearance and loud call make it popular with children. Both the common and genus name are derived from the white, flour-like filaments covering the adult body. Its body and eyes are generally brown with pale patterns. Its forewings have dark brown patches at the base of two of their apical cells. The female is larger than the male, and both grow larger in regions of higher rainfall. The male has a loud and complex call generated by the frequent buckling of ribbed tymbals and amplified by abdominal air sacs. The floury baker is solitary and occurs in low densities. Individuals emerge from the soil between November and February, and can be seen until May. They inhabit a variety of trees, with a preference for paperbark. The floury baker, which is a relatively poor flier, is preyed upon by cicada killer wasps and a wide variety of birds, and can succumb to a cicada-specific fungal disease. (Full article...)
Recently featured: Faryl Sholay Persoonia lanceolata
Did you know...
| || || |
In the news
On this day...
From today's featured list
Songs written by Emeli Sand have been recorded for her debut studio album, Our Version of Events, as well as for other artists' albums. Sand collaborated with Naughty Boy for many of the songs on Our Version of Events, including the album's lead single, "Heaven", which peaked at number one on the UK Dance Chart. The idea for the song was conceived after she and Naughty Boy had a "deep conversation about religion". She has collaboratively written songs with Grammy Award-winning producer Emile Haynie and American singer-songwriter and pianist Alicia Keys. Sand appeared as a guest vocalist on Professor Green's song "Read All About It" and Labrinth's song "Beneath Your Beautiful", both written by herself. Sand co-wrote the song "Half of Me" for Rihanna's seventh studio album, Unapologetic (2012), and "Trouble" for Leona Lewis' third studio album, Glassheart (2012). In August 2011, record executive Simon Cowell named Sand his "favourite songwriter" of the moment. (Full list...)
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas.
- Help desk Ask questions about using Wikipedia.
- Local embassy For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English.
- Reference desk Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Site news Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Village pump For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
This Wikipedia is written in English. Started in 2001 , it currently contains 4,468,595 articles. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
- More than 1,000,000 articles:
- More than 400,000 articles:
- More than 200,000 articles:
- More than 50,000 articles: