From today's featured article
Clackline Bridge is a road bridge in Clackline, Western Australia, 77 kilometres (48 mi) east of Perth, that carried Great Eastern Highway until 2008. It is the only bridge in Western Australia to have spanned both a waterway and railway, the Clackline Brook and the former Eastern Railway alignment. The mainly timber bridge has a unique curved and sloped design, due to the difficult topography and the route of the former railway. The bridge was designed in 1934 to replace two dangerous rail crossings and a rudimentary water crossing. Construction began in January 1935, and the opening ceremony was held on 30 August 1935. The bridge was still a safety hazard, with increasing severity and numbers of accidents in the 1970s and 1980s. Planning for a highway bypass of Clackline and the Clackline Bridge began in the 1990s, and was constructed between January 2007 and February 2008. The local community had been concerned that the historic bridge would be lost, but it remains part of the local road network, and has been listed on both the Northam Municipal Heritage Inventory and the Heritage Council of Western Australia's Register of Heritage Places. (Full article...)
Recently featured: 2007 Appalachian State vs. Michigan football game Creek Turnpike ARA Rivadavia
Did you know...
| || || |
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas.
- Help desk Ask questions about using Wikipedia.
- Local embassy For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English.
- Reference desk Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Site news Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Village pump For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.
Wikipedia's sister projects
Wikipedia is hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation, a non-profit organization that also hosts a range of other projects:
This Wikipedia is written in English. Started in 2001 , it currently contains 4,592,775 articles. Many other Wikipedias are available; some of the largest are listed below.
- More than 1,000,000 articles:
- More than 400,000 articles:
- More than 200,000 articles:
- More than 50,000 articles: