| || || |
In the news
On this day...
- 1533 The Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer (pictured) annulled Henry VIII's marriage to his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, beginning of a chain of events that would culminate in the English Reformation.
- 1844 Siyyid `Al -Muhammad Sh r z proclaimed that he was "the B b", after a Shi`a religious concept, marking the beginning of the B b movement, the forerunner of the Bah ' Faith.
- 1873 The North West Mounted Police, the forerunner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, was established to bring law and order to and assert Canadian sovereignty over the Northwest Territories.
- 1934 During a strike against the Electric Auto-Lite company in Toledo, Ohio, US, a mob of nearly 10,000 began a riot and a five-day running battle with the Ohio National Guard.
- 2008 To resolve a 29-year-old territorial dispute, the International Court of Justice awarded Middle Rocks to Malaysia and Pedra Branca to Singapore.
More anniversaries: May 22 May 23 May 24