From today's featured article
| |Joanna Yeates
(1985 2010) was a landscape architect
, England, who went missing on 17 December 2010 in Bristol
after an evening out with colleagues. Following a highly publicised appeal for information on her whereabouts and intensive police enquiries, her body was discovered on 25 December 2010; a post-mortem examination determined that she had been strangled. The murder inquiry was one of the largest police investigations ever undertaken in the Bristol area. The case dominated UK news coverage around Christmas. The police initially arrested Christopher Jefferies, Yeates' landlord; he was subsequently released and later obtained substantial libel damages from eight newspapers over their coverage of his arrest. Vincent Tabak, a 32-year-old Dutch engineer and neighbour of Yeates, was arrested on 20 January 2011. He was convicted at trial of her murder and sentenced to life imprisonment
. A memorial service was held for Yeates at the parish church in the Bristol suburb where she lived; her funeral took place near the family home in Hampshire. Several memorials were planned, including one in a garden she had been designing for a new hospital in Bristol. (Full article...
Recently featured: George Formby 2011 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final Battle of Morotai
Did you know...
| || || |
In the news
On this day...
September 18: National Day in Chile
- 1851 The New York Times, the largest metropolitan newspaper in the United States, was founded.
- 1889 Hull House (pictured), the United States' most influential settlement house, opened in Chicago.
- 1939 The Nazi propaganda radio programme Germany Calling, with a host nicknamed "Lord Haw-Haw", began broadcasting to audiences in the United Kingdom and the United States.
- 1974 Hurricane Fifi struck Honduras, destroying 182 towns and villages in the first 24 hours, and ultimately causing over 8,000 deaths.
- 1998 The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a nonprofit organization that manages the assignment of domain names and IP addresses in the Internet, was established.
More anniversaries: September 17 September 18 September 19