West Virginia Timber Lands for Sale: The Appalachian Highlands offering provides a diverse forestland investment opportunity in the heart of the Western Allegheny Plateau in West Virginia. Known for its rich soils, favorable climate, and abundance of precipitation, the region that contains these properties is prized for its ability to grow prime hardwood timber species. This area is largely rural with numerous timber properties, bituminous coal operations and farms. Timberland owners in the region include private non-industrial owners, sawmills, timber investment management organizations (TIMOs), and state and federal goverments.
Consisting of 15 separate tracts, this package contains high quality yellow-poplar, the oaks, sugar maple, red maple, hickory and white ash as the principle species. There is a nice mix of age classes, including seedling-sapling stands, poletimber stands, and sawtimber stands. The median diameter class is 16 inches, with 73% of the total sawtimber volume found in the 16" dbh class and greater.
In general, these properties are easily accessed and have well-developed internal road systems providing excellent operability. Many are also providing significant income from hunting and recreational leases. These properties have been professionally managed for many years, and hardwood markets for quality sawtimber remain strong in West Virginia.
Appalachian Highlands is being offered as an entirety or as individual tract sales. Oil, gas and mineral rights have been previously reserved and are not available for purchase. This will be a negotiated sale process; the asking prices for each tract are listed below. Individual tract maps and additional data will be made available upon request.
1. Chase, Wetzel County, 358 acres, 2,373,995 bf, $561,000
2. C Sharps, Tyler County, 537acres, 2,173,979 bf, $592,000
3. Midcap, Tyler County, 426 acres, 2,787,000bf, $494,000
4. Mace, Roane County, 106 acres, 667,960 bf, $130,000
5.L Smith, Roane County, 124 acres, 585,312 bf, $125,000
6. R Sharps, PutnamCounty, 193 acres, 1,481,645 bf, $266,000
7. Sharps-Heizer, Putnam County, 599acres, 3,189,210bf, $823,000
8. Wright, Kanawha County, 286 acres, 1,659,732 bf, $479,000
9. F Smith, Clay County, 190 acres, 1,663,249 bf, $274,000
10. Grist, Nicholas County, 490 acres, 2,398,875 bf, $685,000
11. Dunn , NicholasCounty, 569 acres, 2,578,709 bf, $727,000
12. Pund, Lincoln County, 315 acres, 1,251,109 bf, $354,000
13. Davis, Lincoln County, 113 acres, 720,188 bf, $142,000
14. Mills, Raleigh County, 106 acres, 907,640bf, $138,000
15. Howard, ElliottCounty, 483 acres, 2,209,877 bf, $539,000
TOTALS:4,895acres, 26,648,480 bf, $6,329,000
Please note that tract-specific volumes were derived from an allocation process based on tract level inventories done from 2001 2014 using the total volume shown, based on an inventory done on the entirety in 2011. Volumes represent Doyle Log Rule estimates.