Saving money is typically a New Year’s resolution, but it’s not always as easy as one would hope. One of the best ways to save money is to make improvements at home.
Follow these steps to help cut spending and, simultaneously, improve your home.
1. Install dimmers: Putting dimmers on your lights will decrease your energy bill. You don’t always need full lighting in a room and there are times when it would actually be beneficial to have more control over your lighting. According to DoItYourself.com, dimmer switches save 98% of energy compared to normal light switches, potentially decreasing your energy bill by 10%.
2. Close closet doors: This may sound odd, but closing your closet doors will save you money. Your house will heat or cool these spaces if the doors are open so, if you keep them closed, you won’t be wasting energy on unused spaces.
3. Organize the pantry: Keeping a well-organized pantry or food closet is essential for a happy home and it will also save you money. If you keep your pantry neat and tidy, you’ll be able to see exactly what groceries you have and what you need to stock up on.
4. DIY cleaning products: Save a few extra dollars every month by using items like vinegar and lemon juice to create your own cleaning products. DIY cleaning products are easy and inexpensive to make and you won’t need to rush out to the store when you run out.
5. Use cold water: Using cold water in your laundry will greatly decrease your energy bill. Most clothes will wash the same in cold water versus hot. Hot water uses more energy, so switch over to cold.
Making these small changes around the house will add up.