Hardwood floors can maintain their strength and beauty for years, especially with a little help from you. The below guide can help ensure your floors stay in prime condition for years to come.
Vacuum or sweep your floor regularly with a soft-bristled attachment or broom, especially in high-traffic areas. This prevents gritty dirt and particle build up that can scratch the wood’s surface. Don’t use vacuums with a beater bar or power rotary brush head.
Use protective window coverings to block fade-causing UV rays and excessive heat from direct sunlight. Most wood types will gradually age when not covered, so it’s a good idea to rearrange rugs and furniture periodically to help it age evenly.
TIPS FOR PREVENTING DAMAGE
- Keep pets’ nails trimmed and their paws clean. Pets can track in substances that cause scratching and stains.
- Use a humidifier during heating seasons to help reduce wood shrinkage and humidity between 35% and 55%.
- Wipe up spills and spots immediately with Mohawk FloorCare Essentials Hardwood & Laminate Flooring Cleaner applied directly to a clean white cloth.
- Use ice to harden tough substances like wax or chewing gum, and then gently scrape with a plastic scraper or a credit card. Be careful not to scratch the surface and wipe the area clean with a soft, slightly damp cloth.
Invest in high-quality floor mats and protective pads on heavy furniture for an extra layer of protection on your hardwood floors. Place floor mats at entrances and exits—they collect and trap corrosive substances that can be tracked in, like dirt, sand, oil, grit, asphalt, or even driveway sealer. Placing mats in high-traffic areas—in front of vanities, kitchen sinks, and stoves—is an effective way to reduce wear.
WHAT TO AVOID
- Avoid walking on your hardwood floors with spiked or damage-heeled shoes.
- Resist wet-mop, damp-mop, or cleaning your hardwood with water or other liquids.
- Don’t use oil soaps, liquid or paste wax, or other household products containing lemon, citrus, or tung oil, or silicon to clean floors.
- Stay away from harsh cleaning aids like steel wool pads, any scouring pads containing metal, or scouring powders.
- Don’t use 2-in-1 cleaners that contain acrylics or urethane polish to restore gloss.
10% DISCOUNT FOR ALL SALES ASSOCIATES AND CLIENTS AFFILIATED WITH THE CENTURY 21 SYSTEM.
Go to MohawkFlooring.com/c21 for your coupon and participating retailers in your area.